Saturday, January 31, 2009

OMG, Shoes

Trying out new running shoes can be a long, difficult, expensive journey.  I've tried out quite a few different brands and styles over the years.  New Balance, Adidas, Reebok, Nike, Asics, Saucony, I've tried 'em all.  And to be honest, in the end, there hasn't really been much difference.  The Nikes were the only exception, which I felt were way too thin.  Lightweight, but thin.


Whatever I'm wearing, I always seem to just deal.  I hardly notice any change after running in shoes for about a month.


Anyway, I just got some new kicks the other week - a pair of Brooks Switch 2's.  OooOOoooh.  I had heard only good things about Brooks shoes, so I thought I'd finally give them a try.  I've only been out a few times with them, and they're treating me pretty well.  They feel just a little bit clunky, though.  I have a feeling that will go away, though, as I break them in.  Or they break me in.  I feel as though it's really a matter of just getting used to your shoes.  Then you'll hardly notice they're there.


Part of me wants to go back to my last pair, though, a cheap little pair of Saucony's.  And the Asics before those were real nice, too.  We'll see how I feel at the end of this training cycle, when I'm needing new ones.  I might head back to familiar territory, or try something new.


I guess I shouldn't offend the current pair of kicks.  They're sitting right over there in the corner, looking dejected yet hopeful.  And their hopes aren't unfounded!  I've a got 10-mile surprise for 'em tomorrow morning.  At goal pace, no less.

No comments: